Hey there! I’m Adam Baker – and our Education department here at Stillmotion is hiring an intern (for our Portland office).
First step, read every word on this page. 🙂
What we are hiring:
- 6-week internship
- $12/hour – roughly 35-40 hours per week.
- You’ll be 1099’d as a general contractor while you are an intern.
- After the 6 weeks, both parties can agree to extend an additional 3 months.
- If it’s still going amazing, a formal job opportunity will be offered.
- Starts immediately! (Remember: Must be in Portland)
The Education department is responsible for Stillmotion’s blog moving forward (https://stillmotionblog.com), our email marketing and newsletters, the app (http://getsmapp.com), the upcoming podcast, all training tutorials (free and paid), and all course and live training (including booking speaking opportunities).
Essentially, anytime Stillmotion is teaching or helping filmmakers – in any form (written, audio, video, live) we will be making sure it’s an exceptional experience.
I (Adam Baker) run the educational department. You’ll work very, very closely with me – every day. Essentially, I need a Robin to my Batman. Stillmotion has several dozen team members that assist in all sorts of ways, but you’ll work with me, report to me, essentially we will become Best Friends Forever (at least while at the office). 😉
The formal education side of Stillmotion is still brand new – meaning the right person, who can come in and make themselves valuable – can play a huge role in the years to come. While this is an internship, I’d love nothing more for it to turn into something much more long-term!
Absolute requirements (no exceptions):
- Over 18 and eligible to work in U.S. (duh)
- LIVE IN PORTLAND, OREGON (sorry, no exceptions. Live in Portland).
- Will require transportation to office most weekdays (SE Portland just across the river).
- Flexible, dedicated, hungry – this isn’t a clock in – do the work – go home kind of job or company. The whole team is incredible generous and kind, but we work insanely hard. Flexibility, and a do-what-it-takes attitude is a must or you just won’t fit in. Just being honest!
- Care about telling stories that matter. I mean really care – not just need a job right now. 😉 Stillmotion wants to serve the world through sharing stories that impact people on a deep level. Our education department is the same. We’re helping other filmmakers learn to tell deeper, more meaningful stories.
Strong preferences (these get you big bonus points):
- You are a creative, assertive problem solver. You dig in – you take action – you voice your opinion – and you find solutions. As a company, Stillmotion does a remarkable variety of projects, tasks, and stories. Education is no different. We are ambitious and multi-faceted. You’ll wear a lot of hats, but EVERY hat will require you to be an assertive problem solver. If this makes you uncomfortable, that’s a sign this isn’t the perfect fit for you. 🙂
- You love making customers/readers feel like gods and goddesses. You aren’t just polite, you actively look for ways to go the extra mile. This is huge – you won’t be able to fake it. We want a culture where everyone is over-the-moon when they learn from us. If we mess up, we admit it – and fix it double or triple what is owed. Most of our customer service will be done by email – so your ability to communicate through email is a huge asset.
- Familiarity with online writing, blogging, and/or email marketing. You don’t need to be a popular blogger – however a basic understand and history with WordPress, Email marketing platforms (we use Aweber), analytics tracking, paypal, editing for the web, etc… will set you apart from the rest of the applicant and give you a huge headstart.
- Passionate about organization, project management, and personal assistant tasks. This job is far more than just a personal assistant, however you will be required to “be Robin to my Batman” as I mentioned earlier. The education department needs someone who is detail oriented, can keep a schedule of goals for the department, and can ensure projects are managed well and delivered on time. Organization and Project management is not my strong suit (Baker speaking) and I’ll need you to step up and conquer this for the whole department. This can be everything from helping plan a potential travel itinerary, to making a list of actionable items during a whiteboard planning sessions (and logging them into basecamp), to asking me why the hell I haven’t done that post I was suppose to do today.
- You love the medium of video for storytelling (or you enjoy filmmaking). Every now and then we will record tutorials, shoot content, edit videos, and all sorts of fun film related things. You aren’t required to be an amazing cinematographer – I suck at shooting through a camera – but you will be asked to help as a PA on our education sets. Sometimes this will be as a producer (making sure we stay on schedule, checking off the things we wanted to film, making notes for the editor as we film) – and other times it’ll be “hey grab that light reflector and hold it here for a second.” You’ll enjoy the internship and job much more if this turns you on – you enjoy the movie magic – and you’re excited when we go to record and shoot tutorials/videos.
- Hours will fluctuate at times (within certain days). We’re extremely fair, but sometimes we may have an all day shoot, somedays (most days) we may work out of the main office, and some days we may work on set (or from home). You’ll need to be able to be flexible to fit into the team well. You’ll be paid fairly, on-time, and for all your effort – but there’s no bell that rings and everyone lines up to clock out. With your help planning – we should know about most long shoot days and other weird days are. If you have a particular life situation that only allows you to available during a specific window – this may not be the right internship opportunity.
- You’ll learn a ton – in a short time. If you’re looking to learn more about content creation, emailing, blogging, filmmaking, working on a team, building something that matters, doing epic things you didn’t think were possible, etc… You’ll get that here. It’s on of the biggest perks of the opportunity. We learn and move quickly. 🙂
If you haven’t read every word on this page:
Stop what you are doing and scroll back and read every word. It’s super important you feel this is an AMAZING fit. Not just a job – an “Oh my god this is me! This is me!” type of job.
Once you’ve read every word on this page:
You can fill out the application form here. Fill it out completely (or not) – this is your official application.
We won’t be able to email everyone back – but we will do our first round of interviews at the end of the first week in January. We’ll continue to interview people until we find someone. If the link above is still active, we’re still taking applications. 🙂
Thanks for taking the time to consider joining our small family. I hope we get to meet soon.
-Adam Baker, Stillmotion Education team